Things are pretty good here in room 1221. Katie slept through the night last night, from 6pm to 6 am! She set the group record for consecutive hours. Her thumb sucking helps her get back to sleep if she gets up for a bit. I can't say that Katie was overjoyed when she realized where she was waking up, particularly who with! She is slowing starting to enjoy us. I realize she's been through a lot in the last day or so, and I appreciate that she's giving us a chance.
She took her first bottle this morning and downed 8 oz. in under 2 minutes. She was given a bottle by her orphanage, and the hole in the nipple is as big as a pea! This is pretty common. When babies are in an orphanage, the nannies cannot spend 30 min. letting a baby slowly suck the bottle. We had breakfast (excellent buffet!) and boarded the bus to finish the adoption paperwork back where we had met Katie.
While the official events of the day were not remarkable, our interaction with the people from her orphanage was. The orphanage director came to see us along with the 'nurse' (not sure what it means) who happened to be the person who carried Katie yesterday and gave her to me. I was thrilled to find out that Katie had in fact recieved the care package that we sent her for Christmas, which I had suspected becuase the nurse had pointed me out to Katie as 'mama' yesterday before I was introduced. We were given back the suffed panda bear that we sent, along with a disposable camera. We also got some additional photos from cameras that the agency sent. They are off being developed and I'm looking forward to seeing the photos. While it wasn't cheap to send the care package, it was well worth it to know that we will have extra photos of her time in the orphanage! Katie was also presented with a red cloth necklace with her name stitched on it by the orphanage, and the province gave her a porcelein vase. We will treasure these gifts! I have given some questions to the orphanage to be asked, and I hope to get answers. The people we met from there were very personable and the nurse definitely seemed to have a special bond with Katie. It was heartwarming for me to see that.
She took her first bottle this morning and downed 8 oz. in under 2 minutes. She was given a bottle by her orphanage, and the hole in the nipple is as big as a pea! This is pretty common. When babies are in an orphanage, the nannies cannot spend 30 min. letting a baby slowly suck the bottle. We had breakfast (excellent buffet!) and boarded the bus to finish the adoption paperwork back where we had met Katie.
While the official events of the day were not remarkable, our interaction with the people from her orphanage was. The orphanage director came to see us along with the 'nurse' (not sure what it means) who happened to be the person who carried Katie yesterday and gave her to me. I was thrilled to find out that Katie had in fact recieved the care package that we sent her for Christmas, which I had suspected becuase the nurse had pointed me out to Katie as 'mama' yesterday before I was introduced. We were given back the suffed panda bear that we sent, along with a disposable camera. We also got some additional photos from cameras that the agency sent. They are off being developed and I'm looking forward to seeing the photos. While it wasn't cheap to send the care package, it was well worth it to know that we will have extra photos of her time in the orphanage! Katie was also presented with a red cloth necklace with her name stitched on it by the orphanage, and the province gave her a porcelein vase. We will treasure these gifts! I have given some questions to the orphanage to be asked, and I hope to get answers. The people we met from there were very personable and the nurse definitely seemed to have a special bond with Katie. It was heartwarming for me to see that.
In the room waiting for our individual interviews.
As usual, my blogging ability is lacking. Out of order, but a photo of the Superwalmart that we went to after the adoption paperwork was done. Snacks, diet coke and KFC for lunch. (Yes, I ate fast food again. It seems to be the food of choice for my group.)
Katie and the nurse from her orphanage.
Talking with the orphanage director (man on left) and the nurse (holding Katie). Katie's stuffed panda bear that we sent her is under my arm.
(Left photo) Mom, Katie & I starting out at the adoption office
(Right Photo) Our friends Deanna & Shelby Rainey and Andrea Adams at the adoption office. Today was a good day!


3 comments:
We're so happy for you! Enjoy every minute. We look foward to meeting her, and seeing you all safe at home again soon. Love, Aunt Jean & Uncle Bob
It is truly mutual, isn't it? Although the surroundings appear dismal, the love that enfolded her during her first months on this planet was clearly warm, bright and nurturing. She will surely continue to blossom with your, Brad's, and Alex's love (and that from all the rest of us watching from afar)!
I got chills (and still have them) while reading your latest update...Thank you for allowing us to share each special moment of this unbelievable journey with you and Katie (and Grandma, of course). What a wonderful baby book Katie is going to have! You are looking very happy (and well rested...can't believe she slept through the night!!!!) and Katie is beautiful....but we already knew that she would be! Take care...and keep those messages coming! I look forward to reading them everyday! xox cpc
Post a Comment