Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Guess Who Finally Showed Up at the Party

I'm posting this on Thursday morning, but only because I had some blog issues and couldn't get these photos to load last night. Wednesday was a great day for Katie. She didn't scream once when she saw my face and she even SMILED when she looked at me sometimes. We're starting to really see her personality and what she can do. That is typical in these situations, I'm often told it takes about 3 days for the babies to start to acclimate. That's about what it took me after the flight, so that's fair!

She has a gorgeous smile! I had caught a glimpse in the photos from the orphanage, but it is much more stunning in person. Her two little bottom teeth add to the beauty. She is a happy baby and I'm almost afraid to admit out loud that she is the "E" word (easy) because I already have one of those at home and everyone has told me it doesn't happen twice (except my friend Cheryl who had 2 E's who are now in HS). She sleeps 10 to 12 hours at night and goes into her crib very willingly. I can read her cues when she's tired, so she doesn't have to get to the crying stage. She lays in bed, plays a little with toys I've hung for her, then goes to sleep. She'll stir a time or two in the night, but sucks her thumb and thumps her head until she's sleeping again. Just a few whimpers, not crying. She does cry when hungry then gobbles down 8 oz. of formula in about 2 minutes flat. She had slowed down a bit toward the end. She enjoys being cuddled and makes eye contact most of the time.

Today she is smiling and playing in "baby land" which I've created on the floor. Big toothy grins are the norm today. What fun! I have to tell you, that while I knew she'd come around, it really isn't much fun to have your daughter scream at the sight of your face. I know I'm no beauty queen, but I don't think I'm THAT bad.

Yesterday we ordered Katie's christening outfit across the street at Tiffany's place. I walked over with Adams' and JD to take laundry, and we shopped a bit. The entire store isn't as big as our hotel room, so shopping is basically turning around in a circle. They had a beautiful white silk that had dragons on it. I knew that was the right fabric immediately because her last name in China is Long which means dragon. I got a size 2 (not the same as US sizes, she's wearing 6-9 months) 2-piece outfit with matching shoes for 200 Yuan, which is about $25 US dollars. I know that these can be found cheaper in the next city we travel to, but others have said the quality is superior at Tiffany's. I also know that this will be a keepsake and I wanted it from her home province of Jiangxi. We'll do the rest of our shopping next week. They are also trying to locate her original finding ad for free. The ads are published when the babies are found, so then we'd have a photo of Katie at just a few days old. What a treasure that would be! They also sell cans of Diet coke for $.35 US, so anyone traveling in the future...take note. You can only get diet coke at Walmart (same price about), in the hotel for $2.00 US. Tiffany's is just across the street.

Katie is telling me that it is time to get ready for breakfast, so I'll go now. Thanks again to everyone who is sending words of encouragement. It's a strange experience to travel so far away from home to grow your family, and hearing from all of you makes home seem not so far away!

PS: Mom is doing great and Katie adores her. I don't write as much about mom because she seems to have mastered her milestones for awhile, but she continues to walk and talk as well as at home. She's been a bit overwhelmed by life outside the hotel, but this is her first trip out of North America, and the difference here is truly staggering.

Katie sitting up.

Katie playing with Sarah Jayco on our bed.


Look at that smile! (and the 2 teeth!)

Playing in the walker at the hotel playroom on the 4th floor. She spent a lot of time in these walkers at the orphanage, and she walked all over the room in it here.


Deanna and Shelby visiting us.


One more look at this pic. I've had so much trouble posting pics with this message that I don't dare delete it...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes another awesome letter, Lori! You amaze me with your capturing each and every important detail...I feel as if I already know your precious little girl. She is absolutely beautiful (I still love the bow in the hair!!!)...I can't wait to meet her. One note I need to make about your last posting....Though my two kids were both the "E" (i.e. easy) babies, I am suffering for that now....My words of wisdom to you....The high school years are not so easy!!?>!? Dealing with teenagers.....yikes! Yet, even though they are no longer "E" kids, they are still great kids and I wouldn't trade them for a minute! Cherish each and every minute that they are babies....they grow up so quickly! Take care....Can't believe you will be home next week! Still hoping to welcome you back into the US at O'Hare! Til tomorrow....xox cpc

Anonymous said...

Hello ladies! I have found this web page is a perfect excuse to avoid laundry and cleaning ... it's much more important to keep up on my new niece!

Muriel has a gift for Katie and she keeps checking on it. (It's hidden in my closet.) I think she's going to burst if we don't wrap it and send it to her soon! Muriel loves the bow in Katie's hair and would like to brush it when she meets her. (The hair, that is.)

I'll send Woody's measurements tomorrow ... we had a challenging evening as Woody threw a fit at the grocery store and it took about an hour to calm him down. But, like baby Katie, he's my champion sleeper and he laid down as soon as I put him in to bed.

God bless, Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say how nice it was to talk to you yesterday on the phone, when I was with Brad and Alex. All the pictures are so cute, and she has just a wonderful smile. I am enjoying the time that I have been able to spend with Brad and Alex, but can't wait for you all to get home. Enjoy helping you all out as much a I can. Didn't expect anymore pictures to be on tonight, but am very glad that I looked before I went to bed. Mom said that she talked to you tonight. I know she was really happy to hear from you. Well, better get to bed. Love you all.

Aunt Lynette and cousin Hayley